Sunday 18 March 2012

THE WIND BENEATH MY WINGS

It is a blessing to be a mother. A dream every woman harbours and I am no exception. I want to know the feel of a baby in my belly, the first kick... I want my baby to know the sound of my voice right from my womb. I want to feel my baby's tiny fingers wrap around mine. Watch the toothless smile guaranteed to turn me to jelly. Experience the first steps. Cry when my baby goes off to school for the first time, graduates from school, and become an adult. That day would hurt because my baby would no longer be a baby, but I swear, would always be my baby. Just like I am my mothers'.

My dear mother... I have never told you about her, have I? My mother is one-of-a-kind, and no, I do not say this because she is my mother. I say this because it is true. My mother is a classic definition of insane. I am amazed that I am not as crazy as she. I know what you are thinking... "Your entire family is freaking insane. Your world is classic insanity!" And honey, all I'd say is-

"Preach baby, PREACH!!!!! You aint never lied" hahaha!!! We called my mom "GENERAL" because that is exactly what she was. Funny how age mellows one. I can't believe my mom can stay without bellowing her anger at a poor unfortunate soul that luckily was never any of her kids. Be that as it may, the fact that we saw her in action a lot frightened us into always "Obeying without complaint".
My mom never allowed any injustice against any member of her family. She'd lead the war-path in her white shorts, bandanna tied on her head, and fire blazing from her eyes.
My mom participated fully during the biafran war, if the tales I hear are right. Maybe the tales are bogus but who cares? It made for great stories back in school.

I remember when the Ikeja bomb blast ish happened!!! Oh dear Lord... my mom went into full combat mode. She went to wear her white shorts, NIKE trainers, and face-cap. My dad was somewhere in Asia on business then.

"Ahmed!!! Open the gate!!! Ndidi, get me my riding gear and when I leave, pack some clothes into light bags. Then she turned to me- Baby, you people might have to travel so I need you to go to the safe and get your passports, but wait for my call before you make any moves. There is cash in there as well to purchase tickets. Dare will drive you if that happens. I am riding out now to see what is going on. Sounds like a war about to start!! This was how Biafran war started. Those are bombs exploding. I will call you for further instructions. God forbid that my children will experience war like I did. Tufiakwa!!! Chukwu a gha ekwe!!! Many months of carrying you people! 9 months each!!! AHMEDDDDD!!!!! I said Open The Gate!!! I love you baby, I love all of you!"

Then she secured her helmet on her head, revved her bike and off she went (Yes, she rode a power-bike!). Where to was what I kept wondering. What did she intend to do if truly a war had started? I was still pondering this question when she returned crying hysterically. I was lost, I had no idea what to do so I just hugged her and cried along having no clue as to the reason for our tears, but hey!! If it could make my mama cry, then I needed to cry as well. Maybe the world had ended around us all!!!

Then she comported herself...

"You are all safe! My babies are all safe... God be praised! Say AMEN, baby!! Say it... LOUD!!! (I just kept shouting amen and amen!). She put some music on and said "Let's dance! Call everyone! Dance!!! God has decreed that I will not lose my babies today. Bomb blast in Ikeja but not war... many people dying inside a canal but my babies are all here!!! I was scared! So scared... where is your daddy? My babies are fine ohhh..." Then she started crying again

That was the first time I saw my mother cry and I will never forget the love I felt emanating from her. It was stronger than anything I had ever imagined. How then do I forget my mothers' love? When she has prodded me on through thick and thin. I took my knee scrapes and heartbreaks to her. The best of my best friends. The wind beneath my wings!



Happy Mothers' day to all great mothers out there!!! Your value knows no bounds. You are the link that keeps our souls together. The tender wind that carries us through the rough times.
Sometimes we all forget to say the little things- like how much someone means to us, the joy their presence brings. Let us all use today to pay tribute to our mothers!!!

XoXo,

MIZ

0 comments: